Monday, June 15, 2020

Fiction Books Are "Fiction".

My thoughts this week are: Fiction books

I don't even know where to begin on this blog as I have been thinking about it for awhile. I kind of have a pet peeve (well who doesn't - lol) and it concerns readers that truly do not understand the meaning of the word "fiction".  Being over on Goodreads has taught me some things about how readers react to authors books and what is actually inside the stories themselves. 

If an author has written a fiction story it never ceases to amaze me that readers seem to question the author about things in the story that should be real or they wonder if the author did their research on the reality of what has been written in the story. 

Listen folks, when did fiction become non-fiction? Has the world changed that much where fiction stories and the content of the stories themselves have become reality? 

The imagination of authors are amazing and if they want to write about things that exist, but they want to add a twist to it then they should be able to do that without some reader wanting to know if that "thing" really does exist or where can they find out if it exists or not. Seriously?! Really?!  

For example if an author writes about a laser gun that talks then I would not expect a reader to be questioning if such a thing exists, but I have literally seen readers asking questions of authors about things that are in the stories and wanting to know if the authors did their homework before inserting those type of things. 

In my opinion, fiction should stay fiction. Leave the authors alone is my motto and if they want to create something let them create it! If they want to add an interesting twist to something that is real then let them add it! That is what makes authors stand apart from everyone else! They have creativity and imagination! Just leave them alone and let them create whatever they want to create! 

Books have been around forever and the authors from days of old didn't have people questioning what was real in their stories as back in the "good ole days" no one cared if things were real or not. People just accepted that the books were fiction and the stories inside were totally out of the authors imagination. 

Where in the world would we all be without authors and the stories they tell?! When I sit down to read a book, I just want to be transported to the author's imagination and not worry about if the things in the books are real or not. Who cares! Just enjoy the stories and let your own imagination be carted away into the realm of the author's mind! 

Did that sound like a rant?  Well maybe so as that has been "brewing" in the back of mind for a long, long time. I just hope I get my point across to the readers of this world as the next time you question if something is real in a book make sure you are reading a "fiction" novel and not a "non-fiction" novel. It does help to know the difference between the two. 

Oh and if you need just a little more insight into the word "fiction" then let your fingers do the walking over to the dictionary and let it enlighten you. :)

So those are my thoughts this week! Oh and sorry for the rant! :)

Happy reading!

6 comments:

  1. I understand how you feel, and sometimes I scratch my head in wonder. But then I remember a quote by Samuel Johnson, "Fiction loses its force when it departs from the resemblance of reality."

    When writing fiction, mainly genre fiction, authors have lots of leeway when it comes to imagination and creativity, but they also want it believable. Of course, reading about vampires and werewolves is different, but what the author puts in the book, such as a fight or a type of weapon to kill them needs to somehow reflect their legends.

    So yes, I agree authors should be allowed to create what they want, but you will still find readers searching for the link to reality. Such is life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, Denise, but I have literally seen some strange questions asked by readers in those kind of books with vampires and werewolves also. It baffles me that readers would expect something to be real in a vampire/werewolf novel. That is true about weapons that are used in the real world and stuck in a novel need to be true to form, but stuff that is made up still makes the reader question if that is real as well. That is where I tend to wonder about the common sense of the reader! lol :) Thankfully I just go with the flow! :)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this post, Marie! I couldn’t agree with you more. I think an author should be free to publish just about anything they choose with few exceptions (no hate speech, etc.). It seems that everything comes under such harsh criticism. For instance, I’ve read stories with racist characters who say horrible things, including that dreaded “N” word. That doesn’t mean the author is racist, though many people will find it offensive. Sometimes it’s just central to the story to convey the type of person the character is.
    I love when authors unleash their imagination and can introduce me to some amazing and fantastic ideas and concepts, no matter how far-fetched. Because you’re right—it’s FICTION and it’s meant to entertain! It doesn’t need to be grounded in fact. It doesn’t need to be possible or even plausible!
    It has gotten to the point where, as an author, I feel compelled to warn people that suppression of disbelief will he required when I write material that isn’t realistic. People should know that already, but I suppose some people like to be reminded!
    All readers should be more like you and just go with the flow! Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay...it’s well after midnight and I think I may have sounded a bit contradictory with my last comment. Here’s the deal...I don’t like the “N” word—I don’t say it, I don’t like the hatred it conveys and I hate that it’s used to express inferiority. I hate that we live in a society that is racist, but sadly, that is the harsh reality. So if a book has a racist character, I can understand why they would use speech that would otherwise be impermissible. It all depends on how it’s being used, I think, but again, I don’t think an author should be branded a racist because they have created racist characters. By that logic, I would be a cannibal, serial killer, rapist, fat shamer, animal abuser, etc. I assure you I am none of those things!
    Great, thought-provoking post, Marie!

    ReplyDelete