Sunday, June 21, 2020

Book Recommendations

Thoughts this week are about "Book Recommendations". 


Why do people recommend books to you that do not fit your genres?  This I truly do not get at all! I have tons of books on my Goodreads bookshelves that are actually labeled by genre and author, yet I still will get book recommendations from friends of books that I do not even read and wouldn't even attempt to read. This is truly baffling to me and it is a mystery because I really cannot figure it out. I have been on Goodreads nine years and I still haven't figured it out yet! LOL :)  Maybe one of you that reads this blog will be able to enlighten me. :) 

Here are some of the examples of books that have been recommended to me and my thoughts on them:

Cook books - Though I like to cook/bake, I do not read cook books - I have no bookshelves whatsoever on Goodreads that are labeled "cook books". Now I was recommended not only one cook book (by the same friend), but four cook books within a week. Really?! The person just kept sending me cook book recs - I ended up having to send a message to them though to tell them to stop recommending me cook books and to go be-bop over to my GR shelves to see what I "really" read! Needless to say the cook book friend stopped sending me recs of cook books. 

Butterflies - This was actually just recently too and though I think butterflies are cool and all, I will not read about them. I have no nature books on my bookshelves. I do love nature, but I do not really read books about them. If I want to know anything I normally just get on the internet to look it up. 

Romance and Erotica Romance - I have no romance on any bookshelves. The friends that have recommended them to me are habitual and what I mean by that is the same friends will rec these kind of books to me all the time. I end up just hitting the "ignore" button now instead of reaching out with a message, but still I get these recs once in awhile.

History and Historical Settings - As much as I do like history, etc., I do not have anything of that genre on my bookshelves. I normally will just look it up on the internet with whatever I am interested in, but as far as reading actual books about it - no. 

So there are some examples and what is really interesting about all that is when you are on Goodreads, everything you do on there is public and all your friends see what you read, review, discuss, etc. which brings me back to the same question: Why do your friends want to rec you books that are not within your genre? Surely they see what you are reading and reviewing.

I know what some of you are going to say as I already see the "wheels turning" (lol) - that maybe the "friends" think you might want to try something "new". Well believe me when I say, I do not want to try anything "new". LOL :)  I love the genres I read and I am happy with them. 

I read a broad scope of genres too and in case anyone wants to know what those genres are then here is a list:

Horror: Everything

Science Fiction - anything with action

Fantasy: Sword and Sorcery mainly

Urban Fantasy: Anything that is loaded with action!

Crime Fiction: Serial killers/police/detective

True Crime: Everything

True Paranormal: Everything

So that is my thoughts on recommendations and if any of you are on Goodreads then now you know what kind of recs to send my way! :) 

Have a great week and Happy Reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment