Saturday, October 23, 2021

Horror Movies - October Halloween Fest (16th - 22nd)

 



My third week of horror movies was fun as I tapped into quite a few of the different apps this time. Also I watched one of my own horror movies that I have on dvd which I pull out every year to watch around this time of year. 


16) Havenhurst (2016) - watched on Crackle

My rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€








Thoughts:

This movie was really good and creepy! I was kind of surprised really that it turned out as spooky as it did. 

The plot is about a woman (Jackie) that moves into an apartment where one of her friends disappeared with no trace. The landlord is an elderly woman (Eleanor) and interesting enough she rents the same apartment to Jackie that use to belong to her missing friend. Eleanor runs the apartment complex with an iron hand along with her son Ezra. Weird things start happening though in the complex especially in the apartment that Jackie rents - things disappearing, noises and knocks in the apartment which gives the reasoning to maybe the complex is haunted, but it is so much more than that. 

From the time Jackie moves in to the time things start happening within her apartment the tension and suspense moves up notches till by the end of the movie you have devoured a whole bag of chips! lol  Well I almost devoured them - lol.  The apartment plus the whole complex is basically booby-trapped and by that I mean you will need to watch this movie to understand what happens within this movie that will make you eat through a bag of chips or box of cookies! lol  That is why I gave this movie four stars as it kept me on the edge of my seat. Amazingly enough it didn't seem to get good ratings but I enjoyed it so I must be in the minority on this one. 


17) Haunting of Helena (2012) - watched on Prime

My rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€







Thoughts:

The story sounded really good for this one, but I only gave it three stars as it was just kind of twilight zone weird and it wasn't really creepy, but you wouldn't know that by looking at the art cover of the movie - it looks downright scary but to me it didn't really live up to keeping me in suspense. 

The plot revolves around a woman that has become recently divorced and she is in a car accident with her young daughter. They have moved into an apartment and her daughter is starting to lose her teeth. She lost her first tooth in the car accident and now she has another tooth loose. I know, you are probably wondering what lost teeth have to do with this movie - well actually the story situates around loose teeth and kind of a twisted tooth fairy story. But this tooth fairy is far from being nice and she is out for wanting anyone that lives in that apartment to lose their teeth. There is more to the story but it would give away spoilers to continue and I won't be doing that on here, so if you are curious about this movie then go watch it to learn more. πŸ˜‰

I felt that the whole movie was strange during the beginning and middle of the movie, but finally near the end of the movie is when everything makes sense and you find out more about the "twisted" tooth fairy. So that is why I gave this three stars. Critic reviews are about 4 out of 10 - so I gave it 3 which is about right I guess. 


18) 100 Feet (2008) - own this one - dvd

My rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€








Thoughts:

This movie is probably considered rare as no one seems to know much about it. I rented it from Movie Gallery years ago - not too long after it first came out and then I ended up buying it from Movie Gallery as they would sell copies of the movies they had months later, so I grabbed a copy of it. 

The plot centers around a woman (Marnie) that had killed her husband in self defense as he use to beat her all the time. Her husband had been a cop and she had reported him lots of times to the precinct where he worked of the abuse, but no one ever did anything about it. Marnie is released from prison, but has to serve her remaining sentence on house arrest and she is sent back to the home where she committed the murder of her husband. Little does anyone know that the home is harboring her dead husband's spirit and his abusive ways have not changed in death as much as they had been in life. 

This movie is scary and I think it is a great ghost movie which depicts a violent ghost that will do whatever it takes to make his presence known. Lots of different things happen within this movie with her being on house arrest and that is about all I am going to say on it as anything else said would be spoilers. If you want to watch a scary movie then see if you can grab this one from somewhere. I have never seen it play on any platform as I have only seen it on dvd. But it stars: Famke Janssen (Marnie) and Michael Pare (the ghost). 


19) Exorcist III (1990) - watched on Netflix


My rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€



Thoughts:

This was a creepy movie and I think I had seen the beginning of it long time ago, but never watched the whole movie. 

The plot centers around the Gemini killer who died years ago in the electric chair, but there have been murders going on in a suburb of Georgetown in the city of Washington D.C. that make it seem there could be a copycat killer. Lt. Kinderman is investigating the murders and some things just don't add up so the deeper he digs into the recent murders the more he believes something else is going on......supernatural. That is about all I can give as I don't want to do spoilers. This movie is based off the book Legion by William Peter Blatty. 

The movie is suspenseful, creepy and has quite a bit of the supernatural demonic theme running through it. But as much as I liked the movie I don't think I would re-watch it. It has some spooky parts, but it is not downright horror scary to me. Maybe the book is scarier and I will have to tap into that at some point.  


20) Anaconda (1997) - watched on Prime

My rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€








Thoughts:

I watched this movie a long time ago, but haven't seen it in years. 

The plot centers around six people that are wanting to document an elusive tribe that lives deep within the Amazon River. While they are going down the river they come across a man (Paul) that is in trouble as his boat broke down, so they let him come with them which ends up being a big mistake. Paul claims to know where the tribe is located and tells them how to get there, but he also warns them of an anaconda snake that roams the river. What they don't know is that Paul has plans on trying to capture the snake as it will bring much money and he is wanting to capture it with or without their help. 

There is definitely lots of snake action in this movie and things go bad real quick when the snake shows up. Lots of fast paced action with the snake and the team trying to keep Paul under control. Interesting enough this is the only movie I have seen in this franchise, but I did notice that there are a couple more I can view on some of those apps I downloaded, so will probably tap into those before the month is out. πŸ˜€


21) Conjuring 2 (2016) - watched on Netflix

My rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€







Thoughts:

This was one scary movie and I feel that it is almost more scary than the first movie! 

The plot centers around a house that is haunted by an old man and a demonic entity which is located in Enfield London. The family are the Hodgsons' and one of their daughters (Janet) is the key focal point in this movie. Janet sleepwalks but she also starts having conversations with someone that no one else can see which turns out to be an old man that use to live in the house and that died in the house. Things go from bad to worse as the old man tries to control Janet and there is quite a bit of paranormal activity that happens in the house, but the bedroom of Janet and her sister becomes so bad with activity that her parents lock up the room. One thing leads to another on them trying to get help which eventually Ed and Lorraine Warren get involved. From that point on in the story things get more interesting with scares and thrills which makes this a top spooky movie to watch.

So I felt that this movie was a scary one especially watching it in the dark on a quiet night in the house! There is a scene which I figure a lot of you horror lovers have seen probably more than once so I am figuring this scene I am about to mention is not really a spoiler. The scene where the nun comes to life in the home of Ed and Lorraine Warren. That is really creepy with the shadow of the nun walking along the wall to go behind the nun portrait. Yeah that scene will scare your socks right off! The first time I watched that movie I think had bad dreams! lol  Yeah it happens - sometimes stuff like this digs into your psyche and doesn't want to let go. Great movie and definitely something worth watching around this time of year. 


22) The Changling (1980) - watched on Tubi

My rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€








Thoughts:

This was a great creepy movie that starred George C. Scott. I was trying to rack my brain last night on if I had ever seen it and to be honest it did not look familiar when I watched it. I had heard about it years ago, but I guess I just never got around to watching it. 

The plot centers around John Russell (George C. Scott) whose family was in a horrific car accident which killed his wife and daughter. So John decides to rent a house so that he can be alone to write his music and be away from everyone. The house is huge and it is an old gothic home that has been around since the turn of the century. But what John doesn't know is that the house is haunted and as soon as he gets settled the house makes itself known to him in small ways at first, but as time goes on there is a full blown haunting. 

I thought this movie captured the essence of the haunting as it was slow moving at first with little things happening to John, but then more things start happening as time goes on which John realizes not soon after moving in that the place is haunted. When the haunting really goes full throttle is when John gets involved with a sΓ©ance which brings the house alive!


So that is it for this week of my horror movie watching! I have really been enjoying the new apps that I downloaded - especially Tubi as that app is just saturated in horror movies. There are lots of movies on Tubi especially within the horror realm that are from the 80's, 90's, early and middle 2000's that just stand out. There are some newer up to date ones too, but mostly the older horror movies are within that app.


Happy Horror Movie Watching Everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment