Monday, October 11, 2021

Horror Movies - Halloween October Fest (October 1st - 8th)

 



Normally I do book reviews but this year I wanted to add a blog of horror movies that I will be watching through the month of October and I will add my own star ratings of the movie along with a brief synopsis of my thoughts on each movie.  Also I will be doing a blog weekly until the last week of October. It might not be every night for a horror movie either - sometimes I will skip a night or so, but most part I will be watching something creepy all through the month. 

Some of them are movies that I own and some are movies I watched through either Netflix, Prime or IMDB. Also I might add some creepy true paranormal shows that I watched through Discovery+ as some of those are really scary. 


October 1st - 8th:

1) Final Destination (2000)-  own this one. 

My rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€


Thoughts: 

Love this first movie! I felt for Alex with his premonition of his dream but I also felt for the other classmates on how scared they were to know that the dream that Alex had came true. Loved all the characters in this one too. I watch this movie every October too. Out of the whole franchise this first movie is the best in my opinion. 

I gave it five stars as the first time I watched it I really loved it and I think I watched it again right away. Premonitions are scary enough but when they come true like it did for Alex that drives the scare factor up more!

2) I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1998) - watched on Prime. 

My rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€


Thoughts:

This movie was okay - I felt that it was just "off" for some reason. Four friends that are in college go off on a weekend getaway to a place that they have no way of leaving the island. Though they don't know it till they get there that they are basically stuck there and of course like with any horror movie a "storm is brewing" and there will be no boats or any type of transport back to civilization. They are stuck in the muck it seems! lol  The hook fisherman is back for another romp against Julie and her new friends. Though when I first watched the movie years ago I had a feeling that something just wasn't right with "Will" so that was a surprise near the end of the movie to find out who he was related to. :) 


3) Jaws 3-D (1983) - watched on Netflix

My rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€


Thoughts:

I have never seen this movie till now and it was okay - I wasn't really impressed with the movie. There were not a whole lot of shark action in this movie compared to the first two movies. I thought maybe there would be lots more going on for a third movie but it kind of fell flat for me. 


4) The Disappointments Room (2017) - watched on Prime.

My rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€



Thoughts:

This was a creepy movie and I was surprised to find who all played in the movie too. I didn't know Kate Beckinsale was in this movie and then I was surprised to find Gerald McRainey in the movie too (I use to watch him on the tv show Simon & Simon back in the day). The movie centers around a manor that a young couple move into with their son and as time goes by Dana (Kate) is convinced the house is haunted as she has visions and nightmares of someone coming after her in her dreams. Her husband thinks she is crazy and needs to see a psychiatrist as he is not affected by anything in the house, but Dana's visions start bleeding into reality as the "someone" in her dreams starts haunting the manor. 

I found the movie to be very creepy and some of the movie critics gave the movie low blow ratings - but I would tend to think that the movie would be considered like one of those "B" movies we all use to watch growing up. I don't really go by movie critics as to me I feel that in their eyes if a movie is not a "blockbuster" then it isn't worth their time.  If a movie creeps me out then that is all I care about. So that is why I gave it four stars and I really liked the atmosphere of the haunting as to me it was suspenseful. 


5) Skipped this night as I wasn't home. :)


6) End of Days (1999) - watched on IMDB

My rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€



Thoughts:

I actually use to own this movie but I had it on VHS of all things and never replaced it with a dvd. I was surprised to find this movie on the IMDB site as I was flipping through the movie site the other night and came across it. I haven't watched this movie in years. 

The movie is centered around a young woman that is suppose to be the bride of the devil. The Devil needs a vessel so he inhabits a man that is in a bathroom at a restaurant and then he goes on the hunt looking for a woman that is suppose to become his bride. While the Devil is on the hunt for the woman he blows up stuff all around the city causing chaos wherever he goes. An ex-cop becomes involved by the name of Jericho Cane (played by Arnold Schwarzenegger) as he also tries to track down the young woman.  

There is a lot more detail about the movie but that would be considered spoilers so I am not going in further with drawing it all out. lol

You will just have to watch the movie or track it down somehow - if you subscribe to Prime then you should be able to watch IMDB through there as it is free for all Prime members. The movie is lengthy though as it clocks in over two hours long! So grab your popcorn and soda as it will be a long night! There are some scary graphics though so I wouldn't recommend letting young kids watch it - they might have nightmares for weeks!  

All in all I rated it five stars as I am just a "Arnold" buff (lol) and the movie has some major creep factors throughout the movie. I don't usually admit it because I consider myself a "hardcore horror" fan, but when I first watched this movie I left the lights on a couple of nights as it is that creepy. 


7) The Conjuring (2013) - watched on Netflix

My rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€



Thoughts:

The first time I saw this movie it scared the "hoo-doo" out of me! What is "hoo-doo" you say? I don't know - just something I made up (LOL), but it sounds spooky, right? lol  

This movie has major creep/scare factors throughout the whole movie and no matter what anyone says about if the stories are true or not - I don't care about all that as it is a horror movie and haunted houses are just plain scary no matter if the stories are true or not. 

The story of the movie wraps around a house that is haunted and a family named the Perrons move into the house with their children back in 1971, but they end up having to endure a demonic haunting in the house which ends up being so bad that they reach out to Ed and Lorraine Warren to help them with the haunting. 

This movie is just downright creepy and watching it in the dark of the night doesn't help either - so keep a light on or two as the shadows of your room might be creeping toward you as you watch this movie. The movie is based off a book that is supposedly true which is "House of Darkness, House of Light" by Andrea Perron. The book is broken up into three volumes too which that would make for a lengthy read. I haven't read the book which maybe at some point I need to read considering I do read true ghost story stuff once in awhile. There are up and down ratings for the book too on Goodreads, but at some point I will get around to reading it. 

I rated it five stars because it is just one scary movie and anything that makes me leave a light on or two is going to get five stars. :)


8) The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005) - watched on IMDB

My rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€


Thoughts:

This is another scary movie that revolves around a young woman that becomes possessed by a demon. Though most of the movie is back and forth with a trial that takes place of a priest that is accused of killing the young woman while she was in the throes of demonic possession. Lawyers on both sides of the fence fight for the truth of what really happened and if the woman was really possessed or if she was just having psychotic episodes. 

All in all this movie has lots of scare factors and it is another one that is best left leaving a light on or two. The woman goes into full possession mode throughout the movie and there is lots of screaming here and there throughout the story. I had to keep turning it down a little bit as it kept scaring my cat! lol   

Just a funny thing for a moment - at one point in the movie the woman screams and I felt my cat jump up with a meow as she looked at me - probably saying "What the hell are you watching?! Turn that damn thing down as can't you see I am trying to sleep over here!" LOL

Seriously, she gave me that "look" - you all know what it is as I am sure you all have seen it with your pets! 

So I ended up keeping my fingers on the remote control just in case! lol 

Four stars for this movie as it is scary but has a lot of trial/lawyer stuff to go through too. 


So that wraps up my movie watching last week and I hope you all enjoyed my "Horror Movie" blog. I need to start working on this week's blog of horror movies as I already started over the weekend watching some creepy stuff! :)

Till next week - have a fun and filled Spooky Good Time! 


No comments:

Post a Comment