Saturday, October 16, 2021

Horror Movies - Halloween October Fest (October 9th - 15th)

 




For the week of October 9 - 15, I discovered about four apps that I downloaded to my firestick this last week and found tons more horror movies to watch. 

Oh and if you are wondering what apps they are then here is what I downloaded: Tubi (not only are there hundreds of horror movies on here - they have thousands of other genres as well to watch), Filmrise (they don't have hundreds of horror movies, but they do have some of the old classics on there that I watched growing up), Pluto TV (there isn't really hundreds on here either, but they have some stuff that I haven't seen in a long time), and Crackle (they don't have that many either, but I just went ahead and downloaded them just to have something extra to watch). So let's get this horror movie party started! 


October 9 - 15:

9) The Manor (2021) - watched on Prime

My rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€








Thoughts:

This was a new movie on Prime and it looked really good so I decided to try it out. Barbara Hershey plays in it - she is the main character. The movie was really good and spooky. The movie centers around Judith Albright (Barbara) who has a stroke and to recuperate she is sent to a nursing home. As she gets settled into the home (manor) residents of the home start dying and Judith thinks that a supernatural entity is responsible for their deaths. 

The movie has tons of mystery in it and I became entranced with the storyline as I was trying to figure it all out too of how the residents were dying. I wasn't sure if it was "something" that was killing them off or if it was just all in Judith's mind, but the last 30% of the movie you find out just what is responsible for the deaths and it blew me away as I was not expecting what the movie threw my way. Very good movie with tons of spooky atmosphere. 


10) The Curse of Buckout Road (2017) - watched on Prime

My rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€








Thoughts:

This was an interesting movie - kind of spooky in spots. Danny Glover and Colm Feore play in this movie. This plot of the movie centers around urban legends of Buckout Road and some college kids think that it is all just a bunch of bunk as they decide to do a class project regarding the legend but they get a surprise when they find out that the legend might actually be true.

I only gave it three stars as it wasn't mind blowing scary, but there was quite a bit of mystery surrounding the road and just what was haunting the highway. All in all small spooks but nothing that blew my socks off. It takes a lot to "blow my socks off" - trust me! lol


11) Books of Blood (2020) - watched on IMDB

My rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€








Thoughts:

This movie was just plain....weird. I really don't even know how to describe it as it was just out there. The plot revolves around a young man that his body is etched in writings from ghosts that want to tell their stories of what happened to them and they continually write on his body making him bleed profusely. Of course this movie is adapted from the book by author, Clive Barker. 

There is really more to the story of the movie but I thought I would just give the basic plot line of what the movie revolves around. I did watch it till the end of the movie even though it was odd as I was kind of just drawn into what was happening. I haven't read any books by Barker either and I think I did try to read this book many years ago, but never could tap into what was going on with the storyline so I gave up on it. If this movie is anything like the book then I can see why I gave up reading it. lol


12) Ghost Ship (2002) - watched on Filmrise

My rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€








Thoughts:

I really love this movie! I remember renting it out from Blockbuster back in the day and I think I would rent it every year around Halloween. The plot centers around some salvagers that are approached by a young man that wants them to investigate a cruise liner that disappeared back in the 60's. 

They go out to sea to find the ship and when they find it finally they go aboard to see if anyone is still alive or if they can figure out what happened to the passengers. But what they find is more than they expected as the ghosts come alive on the ship the minute they set foot on it. They also find out that things are not all what they seem with the "young man" either. Lots of spook ghost action within this movie!


13) Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981) - watched on Tubi

My rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€








Thoughts:

The first time I watched this movie was back in the late 80's and at that time I thought it was scary! It is still a great movie and it is hard to find, so I was surprised when I found it on Tubi. It has been a long time since I have seen it so it was really a treat to be able to watch it again.

The plot is centered around a man (Bubba) that is slow-minded and is friends with a young girl (Marylee). The girl ends up getting attacked by a dog, but some of the townspeople think that Bubba attacked the girl so they go after him. They end up killing him, but they get their just rewards when his ghost comes back for revenge.  

It is really a spooky story and it is perfect for this time of year. Has all the creepiness of someone that has been accused wrongly and ends up getting their revenge against those people. Though there is also quite a bit of emotion wrapped around the friendship of Bubba and Marylee so you really end up rooting for the ghost of Bubba to take care of the mean townspeople. I might end up watching it again before the end of the month. :)


14) Urban Legends: Bloody Mary (2005) - watched on Pluto TV

My rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€









Thoughts:

I have seen all the Urban Legends movies, but I really like this one as it is a revenge story too. 

The plot is centered around a young woman (Mary) and her friends that are at a prom with some of the football players as their dates in the late 60's. The young men end up drugging their dates by putting something in their drinks, but Mary only drinks half of her drink and ends up getting in a fight with her date. The young man hits her knocking her out but he thinks she is dead so he hides her body. Forward into time - now the ghost of Mary is back and she is out for revenge against the children of the men who were the football players and she is ready to do whatever it takes to get even for what was done to her. 

This is really a creepy movie and there are lots of tense moments within the movie as well. You are rooting for Mary to get even for what happened to her and she is ends up exacting revenge on not only the children but she ends up getting her revenge against her old boyfriend as well. The children are not really young children either - they are teenagers and they are an unruly bunch kind of like their fathers were when they were on the football team. 

Another great movie to watch this time of year. :)


15) Boo! (2005) - watched on Tubi

My rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€







Thoughts:

This is a creepy movie and has some spook stuff that jumps out at you as you are watching it. 

The plot centers around an abandoned hospital that is suppose to be haunted. Some boyfriends talk their girlfriends into entering the hospital just to check it out. Unbeknownst to the girlfriends though - a friend of the boyfriends has set up rooms in the hospital with prank props to scare the girls. But what none of them realize is that the hospital has its own pranks that it is getting ready to play on the unsuspecting teenagers. 

When I first watched this movie I thought it was really creepy and it has lots of spook action with the hospital coming alive, but after having watched it couple more times - it is still spooky but nothing that would have me rate it higher than three stars. I still enjoy watching it though for just the scares. πŸ˜€


So that wraps up this week of horror movie action! More apps means more to watch and more horror to step into which I love!  I will be back next week with another week of horror movies. 

πŸ‘»πŸ‘» Stay Spooky! πŸ‘»πŸ‘»


2 comments: