Thursday, January 12, 2023

The Ghost Pirates: Sea Horror Novel by William Hope Hodgson

 


🌟🌟🌟🌟

Four "Supernatural Spooks" Stars

Atmospheric Haunting!

A small taste of what lies within:

Jessop decides to sign with a ship called the Mortzestus but hears rumors that it could be haunted - though quite a few of the crew laugh it off but then when Jessop slowly starts encountering unusual activity for himself is when he becomes a believer. Seeing shadows in places where there should be none and seeing ghosts of men flitting out of the corner of his eye is when he wonders if the rumors are true, but when crewmen start dying in unexplained ways is when things take a spooky turn!

Thoughts:

Something a little different for me as I don't normally read the older horror classics unless the books are well known. I have had this book on my kindle for about three years and decided to step into it for a challenge in one of my groups. 

I am happy that I read it as I was surprised by how quick I became involved in the story as the haunting takes place early on in the book. The story is told in the first person of the character Jessop and what he went through on his journey aboard the ship. First time reading this author though I have a some of his books on my kindle that I need to read eventually. The book was written in 1909 but it holds up well to an atmospheric haunting. I had to get use to the pirate jargon but once the story unfolded it was easy to keep up with what was going on aboard the ship. 

I felt that this book was a good comparison to the classic horror movie The Fog - once you have that image in your mind with the pirates and ghost ship then you will be able transport yourself back to pirate days aboard a haunted ship. 


Attached is the author, William Hope Hodgson, profile page from Goodreads:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/51422.William_Hope_Hodgson

Attached is the author, William Hope Hodgson, profile page from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/stores/author/B000APUWH6

Attached is my review from Goodreads:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3664996611








No comments:

Post a Comment