Monday, November 22, 2021

Afraid/Trapped/Endurance (Three Thriller Novels) by Jack Kilborn

 


πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

Five "Gruesome Gory" Skulls


This is a triple omnibus of three horrifying novels so breaking them down book by book with thoughts for each book. 

Afraid: 

The town of Safe Haven is shattered by a helicopter crash that releases special ops soldiers that believe they are on a mission to seek and destroy - the problem is the soldiers will not let anything stand in their way of extracting the information they are looking for. 



The citizens of the town realize too late that they are in the sights of these soldiers and they will have to band together to survive or die trying whichever comes first!

Thoughts:

This book just jumped out from under me right away as something happens almost instantly with this story which kept me suspended in terror.  I was reading about what the citizens were going through as for the first couple or so chapters I was as much in the dark as the citizen characters on trying to figure out what was stalking them. 

I learned quick that the threat was soldiers, but the author keeps the reader hooked until revealing that information, but then I was still in tension and anticipation of what was going to happen next so even revealing that info just heightened my level of intrigue! 

The writing style is pristine and smooth which I knew that it was going to be a fun read as I have read this author under his other name for his crime thrillers, though I have read one of his horror novels before which was Haunted House that is really tied in with this set of books, but I didn't know that when I first read the book that there was character tie-ins so will be rereading that book when I finish reading the three books in this omnibus. 


Trapped:

Martin and Sara Randhurst are guardians of six teens who have had troubled pasts and they decide to take them all camping out to an island that has been known to have an abandoned prison. Martin tells a spooky campfire story to them all one night after they get settled around the campfire about the prison and what happened there. 



Then a few of the teens see something in the bushes but they don't think nothing of it till Martin mysteriously falls back into the bushes but doesn't reappear. Sara thinks Martin is just joking around and trying to scare everyone, but when after a half hour or so and Martin still hasn't reappeared then everyone becomes worried. 

When Sara decides to go in search of Martin she takes a couple of the teens with her telling the others to stay in camp, but then things take a horrific turn as there is "something" roaming the island jungle and it is not happy that they have all invaded its turf. 

Thoughts:

This story grabbed me right away as when the character Martin disappears then all hell broke loose with everyone trying to find him and finding something else instead. There is lots of mystery and spookiness within this story along with some blood action as well. 

This story moves at a fast pace and there are plenty of twists and turns throughout the story which kept my insomnia fueled a few nights. 


Endurance:

An Iron Woman triathlon has been overbooked at one hotel so the hotel clerk informs the guests that they can book a room at the Rushmore Inn (a bed and breakfast) that is hidden away in the backwoods of West Virginia. 



Women have arrived at the Inn but the rooms are creepy in that all the rooms seem to have previous presidents faces on portraits around the room and things just seem to be "off" about the place. There are some creepy and deformed men that are wandering around the inn, but that is not all that is hidden deep away inside this inn as once the women get settled into their rooms they are going to find out that there is more to the Rushmore Inn than they thought and they should have not stayed there!

Thoughts:

This was a backwoods hillbilly gore fest that was a slow burn as it took a little time to get to the "nitty gritty" of the story. There is a prologue where something happens but once I became involved in the gist of the main story it took a little bit for things to happen but when it did I had to grab my gore suit as this story turned into a twisted bloody mess!


Total thoughts for the trilogy:

This was a great trilogy and I am happy that I finally stepped into all three books as I have owned them for awhile. I have been reading the crime series of this author under his Konrath name and really been enjoying them, but hadn't really stepped into his horror books. All three books kept me wrapped up in twisted knots as I wanted to see what was lying in store for me through each book. 


Attached is the author, Jack Kilborn, profile page from Goodreads:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1724698.Jack_Kilborn

Attached is the author, Jack Kilborn, profile page from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Kilborn/e/B004IK1V0G

My Goodreads review is attached:

No comments:

Post a Comment